[Lias] Thanks for help re Proxy

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Fri Mar 28 06:00:02 UTC 2003

> Just a comment though. I don't know how many teachers are on the Lias list
> but it seems to only get rarely used. Each time I have asked for
> help it has
> been very forthcoming and appreciated. I know that the questions
> I ask (and
> maybe others) are at time simplistic for all the Linux gurus out there but
> those of us who need the help are most often teachers first and
> that's what
> we are skilled at (hopefully). I spend half my time teaching, half my time
> managing the Novell network and another half fixing everybodies minutae
> problems. Learning more Linux stuff comes in the "find out when I need to"
> basket.

There are a lot of teachers I believe on this list as well as a few Linux
gurus, I am not one, but am luck enough to not have a teaching load anymore
so have more time than most to work through problems. The few gurus that are
here are also very responsive as you note.

> I know that's a poor excuse and I appreciate all of you not treating those
> teachers on this list who have varying levels of Linux skills
> (usually low)
> as newbies.
That is what this list is for, if you want to see real 'geeky' linux stuff
have a look at the SLUG list :-)
Should note that they are alos very helpful

However, I find that a lot of what people recommend for me to
> do, I will try and often bumble through, but what some have
> suggested I have
> little idea of what it means or even how to do it. I know this
> comes in the
> category of RTFM and I do try, but there are just so many hours in the day
> and we are teachers first trying to integrate Linux into schools
> in varying
> ways.

I like Les suggestion of having a step by step process for teachers (not for
the experts).
I have started a similar system here and will look at how I can put it
on-line for everyone if people think that will help.

> I'm out at Bathurst and Peter Hughes who also subscribes to this
> list is at
> Forbes. We're not exactly flushed with Linux experts in schools out here.
> We're probably it, but I feel like a dill at times. I know that I am not
> keeping up with Linux trends, ideas etc. What can we do in this regard. We
> are being very reactive to Linux in schools, I'd like to be more
> proactive.
The advantage of Linux is that if it is a server on the internet then you
don't need a Linux expert nearby. I had two people workingon my systems
recently, one is in Ireland the other I think is in Sydney (but I am not
sure).

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramata