[Lias] Problem with proxy

Trevor Gunter tgunter at lisp.com.au
Wed Mar 26 13:08:23 UTC 2003

Hi all

Have just got some problems with the schools proxy RH7, squid etc

Machine appeared to freeze about 30 mins ago. Basically a who lot of gobbydegook on the screen that made little sense to me. Immediate thought. This doesn't look good.

Upon restarting get the following message

/var contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/var:
Inode 30383 has illegal block(s)

/var: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
            (i.e., without -a or -p options)

***An error occurred during the file system check.
***Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
***When you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintenanc
(or type Control-D for normal operations:

Thats it
I've read up in the manual about fsck but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Have run fsck with appropriate switches but I just get more info about errors in /var

Any ideas appreciated. I can rebuild the server in an hour or so but I'd like to learn how to solve problems. How fatal is this error?

Thanks

Trevor