[Lias] Thin Clients and NT Domain logins

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Fri Jul 4 12:44:45 UTC 2003

Simon Bryan wrote:
> Hi all,
> Have finally got most of the setup together to be able to run all my old systems as
> diskless thin clients off an LTSP server. Currently I have the following working:
>
> Users login with their Windows domain username and password
> Users can mount their normal home drive, from another samba server to /home/{username}
> A GUI frontend to the simple bashscript that mounts their home drive
> A means of automatically unmounting their home drive when they logoff (not really
> necessary I guess - but good for neatness sake)
>
> Anyone know how to do this?

I personally prefer automount for this sort of thing.  I use it for
all my CDs & floppies.  I use the Red Hat autofs, which requires you
to uncomment this line in /etc/auto.master:
    /misc   /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=10
This automatically unmounts mounted filesystems after 10 seconds of
inactivity (i.e. no process with open files or using it as its current
directory).

I then add this to /etc/auto.misc for my CD & floppy:
    cd     -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
    floppy -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev       :/dev/fd0

You can add a hostname in front of the colon as follows:
    linux  -ro,soft,intr    ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
This uses NFS, but you can do any type of filesystem.

Paul
--
Paul Gear
Manager IT Operations