[Lias] windows apps in schools (was: netNOW article)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Apr 27 09:18:54 UTC 2003

[crossposted to ALLIES because I think it's important enough]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:41, Ian Ralph wrote:
> A few minutes ago I did a quick count and there are 100  Windows
> applications (not including Web based apps, "office" apps or web
> browsers) that we distribute for staff and students at my school.

Really, the only reasonable prospect for coping with a load like that is
to run the vast majority of them through WINE. Even finding someone
with the time to do as little as throw each at WINE and see how far it
gets would involve several full-time man-months. Which I ain't got and
I expect none of you do either.

Does anyone know of a suitably motivated retiree who would start on this
and document what they're doing?

A retiree would be more likely to have the patience to do it well, and
the time to actually do it, and having a worthwhile project like this
on their plate *will* improve their life expectancy.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia