[Lias] netNOW NZ - Getting to the source

Garry Thorpe garry at thorpe.emu.id.au
Thu Apr 24 13:36:01 UTC 2003

> But if you use LTSP (plug plug: www.ltsp.org) thin clients,
> the minimum
> becomes a 486 with 16MB (P100 with 32MB even better). As long as the
> server is beefy you can run all the GUIs you like.

We ran a trial of LTSP about 4 months ago, very impressive, but did not
proceed to widespread deployment because the OpenOffice Presentation app
failed to run many of the presentations built in Powerpoint.  It seems to
have the weakest compatability compared to Word and Excel.  We also had
problems getting a browser set up to run all the plug-ins that were needed
for many education sites, but could probably have fixed this with
perseverence.  Biggest problem was Macromedia Flash would not work with
LTSP.   We are hoping that these may be resolved soon.