[Lias] migrating users and their passwords

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sat Nov 30 22:42:01 UTC 2002

On Saturday 30 November 2002 06:43 am, Parkes High School wrote:
> My users are going to be pretty peeved if I have to get them to enter
> passwords again (they are getting sick of me always fiddling!)

> Can I somehow migrate them and their passwords from the RH 8.0 box to
> the RH 7.0?

If RH7 uses the same password format, and adjeweb's software uses the system
passwords and mailboxes, just copy them (user by user) from /etc/shadow on
the old system to the same file on the new, and their mail from/to
/var/spool/mail/$USERNAME

If the s/w uses standard HTTP authentication instead, and you can find a
.htpasswd file, then copying the passwords would be no trouble but I have no
idea where there mail might be stored.

Otherwise, sorry, would need to know lots more (and have more time) in order
to be able to help you.

Cheers; Leon

--
http://www.cyberknights.com.au/  Modern tools, traditional dedication