[Lias] setting up mail server with postfix

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Tue Nov 26 07:30:02 UTC 2002

> Is there a current version of samba?
Yes see http://au1.samba.org/samba/samba.html

Does it support login/connections to XP pro? I ask because I believe samba (3
> years ago) did not support encrypted passwords. XP pro = NT
> workstation? and NT workststion encrypted login was incompatible
> with old smba.
Samba has long had the ability to encrypt passwords and participate in domain security. AFAIK it cannot yet emualte a W2K server, but that is coming.

> I've mucked around with Linux since mid 90s. Started with Walnut
> Creek's Slackware. Mostly RH  since then. Disappointed with the
> equation editor in the office wordprocessor. Has it improved in
> recent releases?

Which Office package? there are several. The flavour of the month is Star Office 6 also known as Open Office 1.0.1 (the GPL version - identical except no database as that is not part of the package, comes from Adabas and a smaller clip art gallery.) This is very recent so you may want to have a look. http://www.openoffice.org/