[Lias] Re: postfix etc

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Tue Nov 5 14:26:01 UTC 2002

Parkes High School wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> One thing that puzzles me is the difference between 127.0.0.1 and the IP
> one gives a machine...say 10.12.217.88

well... you don't actually give the address to the machine, you give it
to the interface.  The address 127.0.0.1 refers what is called the
"local loopback" interface.  Whenever you want to connect specifically
to the machine you are sitting at you can use it, and services that you
do not want used by others can be configured to only accept connections
from this address.  This is how your postfix server was configured out
of the box.

Now, to talk TCP/IP on your network card you need to give that interface
an address also - this is the 10.12.217.88 one.  In fact you can add any
number of "alias" addresses for this interface also... and I recommend
doing that (see http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/index.html if you have the
time...).  I assume Mandrake will give you a configuration tool for
doing this... if you can't find one just add a few lines like the
following in your /etc/rc.local:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0:0  <first extra address>
/sbin/ifconfig eth0:1  <second extra address>

In particular, DET asigns addresses in its DNS for

proxy.parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au
mail.parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au
web1.parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au
etc

to get the exact addresses, assuming you have DNS configured, just type
for example

host proxy.parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au

If you are running this machine as a proxy and mail server then add
aliases for these addresses _and_ the corresponding entries in your
/etc/hosts

But now to get to your specific problems:

parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au should be your domain name and not your
hostname which should be something like tux.parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au!
  Make a point of fixing this or you will have problems.  A good
/etc/hosts entry might be:

10.12.217.88 tux.parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au   tux

The change you made to the postfix allows _all_ computers to access and
use your SMTP service.  This is why it was required for client PC's on
your network to access the postfix server.

You should make the following change to postfix's main.cf also:

    mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain

which will inform the server that it is the termination point for mail
addressed user at parkes-h.schools.nsw.edu.au

For forwarding to the outside world add:

    relayhost = [smtp.schools.nsw.edu.au]

Then you should be cooking with gas ;-)

Sorry to hit you with that much at once... do the last things first and
worry about aliases later... that just makes things more integrated and
nicer

--
Andrew Dorrell PhD.        Senior Research Engineer
Canon Information Systems Research Australia     Phone: 61 2 9805 2224