[Lias] What's out there?

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Mon Mar 18 12:34:04 UTC 2002

"Ian Ralph" <ian at sceggs.nsw.edu.au> wrote:

I'm lucky enough to have been given some time in June this year to visit
schools where interesting things are happening using Linux. Can anyone
suggest a few "must visit" schools in Australia where I can find out more
ways of using Linux and open source software in a K-12 education
environment?
<<

Good point - I've just built a squid proxy for my kids' school (installing
it on Wednesday) and wouldn't mind collecting some ammunition to assist in
getting more Linux in there, at least as network infrastructure and
intranet servers. I've noticed quite a few projects and even distros aimed
at the education market, mostly US-based of course, but I'd be surprised if
there was no-one using this stuff locally (then again, DET NSW site
licences for Windows everywhere negate at least one major advantage of open
source software).

I do recall a school in Adelaide - I had two staff members come on one of
my courses - which had a large network infrastructure, to the extent of
retailing bandwidth to parents outside school hours, and I'd be surprised
if there wasn't quite a bit of Linux involved there. Sorry, I don't have
the contact details, though. . .

Best,

--- Les [http://www.lesbell.com.au]