[Lias] Re: [SLUG] StarOffice Tutorials - slightly OT

Anthony Rumble smilie at LinuxHelp.com.au
Sat Aug 4 01:34:04 UTC 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Simon Bryan wrote:

> Excuse the slightly OT am asking this here because people are more likely
> to have had experience with StarOffice.
> I am trying to wean people off MS Office and onto StarOffice5.2, I like it
> and it does everything I normally do in Office. If I can get them used to
> this then perhaps I can also get some Linux desktops going. However at the
> moment we are using the windows version of SO.
> I am looking to see if anyone has written any basic 'how to' sheets for the
> basic applications - eg How to format a document, How to create a
> spreadsheet etc.
> If not I have to write my own  :-(

One thing were trying to do with one client, is run XWin32 on their
existing wintel boxes.. and run StarOffice 5.2 on their server.
(Star Office runs MUCH MUCH MUCH better this way BTW)..
So rather than have to raise all their PC's to 128M of ram (expensive)..
We just put like 512M of ram in the server.

Then.. later, we can look at weeing them to a Linux desktop, with legacy
apps provided by Win4Lin NSSE (Server edition).

--
Anthony Rumble - Managing Director
EverythingLinux.com.au - The Alternative Operating System Store