[LCA-Geelong-2014] Fwd: LCA Geelong 2014 - some random thoughts
kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Wed Jul 27 02:20:30 EST 2011
Hi Linux Australia Council!
At BarCampGeelong (doing the post event report and finances as we speak)
a few of us got chatting about the possibility of having LCA in Geelong
I'm doing a random brain dump of some of the initial thoughts around
this in case it needs to go into a wiki somewhere, and in case the worst
happens and I'm not around in 2014.
Key people and stakeholders that would need to be involved:
* Deakin Events - key contact Luke O'Brien
Name: Mr Luke O'Brien
Position: Commercial Events Officer
Centre: External Relations
Area: External Relations Group
Campus: Geelong Waterfront Campus
Tel: +61 3 522 78121
Email: luke.obrien at deakin.edu.au <mailto:luke.obrien at deakin.edu.au>
* Another key contact at Deakin is Craig Warren (Kathy's boss - looks
after 120 Operational Service Provision staff - ie all the technical
staff in ITSD) - ccw at deakin.edu.au. Was brilliantly supportive of
BarCampGeelong and would be a very good person to keep on side for
something like this.
* Geelong Performing Arts Centre (GPAC) - as they run the 1500 seat
Costa Hall facility (not run by Deakin) (I don't have a contact) -
* Geelong City Council - have a major events program (sorry don't have
a contact) -
* ICT Geelong - contactis Craig Hil**lEmail
:craigh at sedconsulting.com.au
<mailto:craigh at sedconsulting.com.au>Contact: 0408 390 930
<mailto:craigh at sedconsulting.com.au>
* Also be aware that there are plans afoot to build a 1500-capacity
convention centre in Geelong - but it is unlikely to be operational
Other key benefits of Geelong
* Avalon airport with shuttle bus to city
* Plenty of accommodation close to Deakin Waterfront
* Deakin Waterfront has great wireless capability and great audio visual
* The city has the infrastructure for entertainment, food etc.
* Train station 10 min walk away
* Great AV facilities at the campus
* Great restaurants, plenty to see / do
* Gateway to Bellarine Peninsula, great tourism facilities
Key issues / stuff that would have to be thought about;
* Do we have enough Linux people in Geelong to make it happen? Do they
have the right skills / competencies / passion?
* Will people travel to a regional area again?
* Would it be commercially viable?
* Is it the best time to have it (there's quite a few festivals on in
Geelong in January - accommodation is scarce but it might bring more
people to the event)
Anyway, wanted to brain dump before it disappears :-)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Lcageelong2014