[lca-announce] linux.conf.au 2021 - The countdown: One week to LCA2021

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Sat Jan 16 10:28:22 AEDT 2021

linux.conf.au 2021 will be beaming into homes and workplaces across the
world in just 7 days, from Saturday 23 to Monday 25 January.

Have you been wondering what's next for the world? Are you keen to
explore how the open-source community can help society navigate through
these unique times? Then you need to grab your ticket.

The online format means tickets are at a lower price than previous
years. Jump onto our dashboard (https://linux.conf.au/dashboard/) to
secure yours today.

## Stella lineup of keynotes

Ahem, have you heard who's keynoting at linux.conf.au? It's a pretty
exciting lineup.

### Cory Doctorow

Cory Doctorow is a science fiction novelist, journalist, and technology
activist. He is a special consultant to the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (eff.org), a non-profit civil liberties group that defends
freedom in technology law, policy, standards, and treaties.

Let's hear from Cory himself what he has in store for us at
linux.conf.au. Check out his video to us at https://youtu.be/5xN-OV1t5PY

### Omoju Miller

Omoju Miller is the Technical Advisor to the CEO at GitHub. Her
expertise is in the area of machine learning and computational
intelligence.

Omoju will discuss participation in open-source as a form of cognitive
apprenticeship. She will map out how the transition step from novice to
expert aligns with the progressions we see in the roles taken on in open
source communities.

Omoju will share ideas on how to transition from beginner to master
faster by accessing what we know from education research.

### Limor Fried

Limor "Ladyada" Fried is an electrical engineer and founder of Adafruit.

In her keynote, Limor will discuss how Python is snaking its way into
hardware, Linux single board computers, and more.

## Newcomers Session

Our Newcomers Session is a popular tradition of linux.conf.au. This year
it will take place online on Friday 22 January at 7pm.

Whether this is your first Linux conference or you come every year, this
is the place to find out more about the conference and everything it has
to offer.
It is also a great place to connect and chat with our community.

BYO beverage of choice!

## Do you need financial assistance to attend linux.conf.au 2021?

Thanks to the support of our Outreach and Inclusion sponsor, Arm, we
have funds set aside to provide financial assistance to linux.conf.au
attendees who might need it.
This program is part of our outreach and inclusion efforts for
linux.conf.au.

Anyone can apply for financial assistance to attend. You can apply for
full or partial financial assistance to cover the costs of what you
might need to join the conference.

To find out more about our financial assistance and how to apply, read
our assistance page at https://linux.conf.au/attend/assistance/.

We look forward to seeing you next week!

---
Read this online at https://lca2021.linux.org.au/news/one-week-to-go/