[lca-announce] linux.conf.au 2022 - Keynote: Kathy Reid

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Wed Dec 15 22:48:52 AEDT 2021

Today we're announcing our third keynote speaker for linux.conf.au 2022,
Kathy Reid!

Kathy will be speaking about how communities are systems too, and how
thinking about them in the same ways we think about computers can reveal
insights into creating and maintaining them.

Many of us work with systems in our professional lives. Most likely,
they take the form of cyber- or cyber-physical systems, where the
constituent components - boxen, VAXen, Docksen, ESPen, are quite
literally connected - possibly over some form of internet protocol.
These systems may be orchestrated or organic - but always serve a
purpose. They can co-operate, collide and compete with each other (and
then there were 15 standards). They can operate loosely or be tightly
controlled.
They exist for a brief period of time (less brief if they contain
COBOL), until they are disassembled, disaggregated and decommed back to
electrons and e-waste.

But what about the people in those systems? How are they connected? Why
are they part of the system? Or not? What roles do they serve? What are
their inputs and outputs? Plot twist! Communities are systems too! The
concepts we use for thinking about computer and cyber systems can also
be used to uncover insights about communities, and how we go about
creating, curating and concluding them.

## About Kathy Reid

Kathy Reid works at the intersection of open source, emerging
technologies and the technical communities who shape and are shaped by
them.
Over the last 20 years, she has held several technical and community
leadership positions, including as Digital Platforms and Operations
Manager at Deakin University, Director of Developer Relations at Mycroft
AI, and President of Linux Australia.
More recently she has worked in voice and conversational AI at Mozilla
and NVIDIA, helping to create speech technology that works well for
everyone.

Kathy holds Arts and Science undergraduate degrees from Deakin
University, an MBA (Computing) from Charles Sturt University, a Master
in Applied Cybernetics (MAppCyber) from Australian National University,
as well as several ITIL certifications.
In 2019, she was one of 16 people from across the world chosen as the
first to co-create a Masters Program in a new branch of engineering at
the Australian National University's School of Cybernetics, where she is
now a PhD Candidate, researching voice dataset documentation as a way to
create more responsible technology.

We look forward to welcoming Kathy at linux.conf.au 2022.

----
Read this online at