[lca-announce] linux.conf.au 2020 - Statement on Bushfires

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Sun Jan 5 18:24:47 AEDT 2020

With linux.conf.au 2020 rapidly approaching, many delegates are looking
to their
travel and there have been some concerns surrounding the fires in
Australia.

The impact of the bushfires across Australia have been devastating for
many
Australians as well as our native animals and the environment. Due to
the impact
they have had, our charity raffle will be in aid of causes supporting
those
impacted by these horrific fires.

Currently the main fire-affected areas are in New South Wales, Victoria,
and
South Australia. Last year the Gold Coast Hinterland was affected by
bushfires,
however this has long since been extinguished.

The area of the Gold Coast where the conference is being held is
directly on
the coastline and has not been impacted by the fires. We do not believe
there
will be any risk of bushfires impacting the conference and the venues it
is using.

There has also been a lot of attention on smoke from the fires impacting
Australia. This is primarily affecting areas in the south-east of
Australia,
including Sydney, Canberra, and down into Victoria. The Gold Coast is
not
currently affected by smoke and the air quality is the same as usual,
and we
expect this to continue through the week of the conference.

linux.conf.au 2020 will proceed as planned and we are looking forward to
seeing you all on the Gold Coast very soon.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out via email at
contact at lca2020.linux.org.au.

---
Read this online at
https://lca2020.linux.org.au/news/statement-on-bushfires/