[lca-announce] More news!

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Sat Jan 12 10:33:31 AEDT 2019

Hello open source lovers!

At this time next week many of you will already be in our fine city,
preparing for a week of fun! We're looking forward to it all!

Please read all of the below. There's a reminder about registration
details and news about cool things we've got arranged - all especially
for you.

Registration
============
Please take a moment TODAY to ensure you have completed registration.
Not completing this could mean you miss out on getting T-shirts and
could miss out going to certain dinner and evening events that your
ticket might otherwise entitle you for.

Please also ensure you have any dietary requirements listed in your
delegate profile, including partners and children. You need to have done
this by the end of January 14 NZDT as we need to give all our caterers a
heads up to what's required.

Airport Registration Desk
=========================
Are you arriving at Christchurch Airport on Friday January 18th or
Saturday January 19th? If you are then please drop by and see us at our
registration desk!

At the desk you'll be able to grab your conference badge (if you've got
your registration completed!) and get a little help finding transport to
your accommodation. We've also got maps, of the paper variety, showing
you the area around the university to help you find your way. We won't
have swag bags at the airport but these can be collected at the
registration desk at the conference venue from Sunday afternoon.

Our desk will be based on the ground floor of the airport terminal in
the area marked "bag claim area gates 16-22a" at the top of this map
https://www.christchurchairport.co.nz/media/871428/cial_ground_floor_map_july_2018_rgb.pdf

If you're coming via an international flight, this means making a right
turn as your emerge into the arrival lounge and making a short walk
until you see us. We'll have pop-up banners with our logo on the ground
level in the domestic and international arrival area to let you know
you've arrived in the correct city. :)

We'll run the desk for as late as we can in the evening because we know
that a lot people will be arriving around midnight.

UC Recreation Centre
====================
Sometimes you hear about people joining a gym for their New Year's
resolution in a bid to improve their health. If you're worried that
being at linux.conf.au for a week is going to mess with your plans then
here's a solution for you.

As a special deal for linux.conf.au delegates, you can sign up at the
University of Canterbury Recreation Centre for a week! Here's the details:

* NZD$15 from Sunday January 20 until Saturday January 26, no matter
when during the week you purchase the pass
* Open to partners if they come at the same time as the registered delegate
* Not available to people under 16 years old
* Towels can be hired. Sweat towels are 50 cents, shower towels are $1
* The recreation centre is open 6am to 10pm, Monday to Friday and 9am to
9am Saturday and Sundays

To sign up, take your photo ID and a copy of this email or your
linux.conf.au conference badge to the front desk of the Rec Centre.

For more information, check out
https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/ucreccentre/ or email Dee Mrkusich
dee.mrkusich at canterbury.ac.nz

E-ALE
=====
This year at linux.conf.au, the ALE team are presenting tutorials on
several subjects, including embedded, IOT, cloud, security, and
licensing topics. ALE, the Apprentice Linux Engineer track, is a
tutorial series driven by volunteer professional speakers who present
apprentice-level material in a way that beginners can understand and use
the information. Most tutorials also provide hands-on training, usually
with embedded hardware designed and built by ALE volunteers - this is
the only associated cost, other than conference attendance fees. ALE
made its debut at SCALE 16x in 2018 as E-ALE (Embedded). Since then it
has also grown to include IOT, Cloud, and Linux kernel subject matter at
a variety of conferences worldwide. Check the schedule for details and
make sure to buy your board with registration.

Look out for information coming in the next day or two on our website
with a timetable of talks and how you can sign up for a workshop.

Sponsorship
===========
Another aspect of linux.conf.au that is so instrumental are our
sponsors. We are so grateful to the sponsors that have signed up so far
who show their support for linux.conf.au and open source.

At the moment we've been unable to find anyone who wants to sponsor the
coffee cart. This means no free barista coffee or hot chocolate! Gasp!
If you want to rectify this please get in touch with our sponsors
coordinator at sponsors at lca2019.org ASAP. We've also got opportunities
around sponsoring childcare too.

On behalf of the organising team...

--