[lca-announce] Linux.conf.au 2012 begins in 1 week! - Here's a few helpful hints

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Mon Jan 9 23:53:18 EST 2012

Hi Everyone!

Can you believe its just 1 week until linux.conf.au 2012 kicks off? We hope you're all as thoroughly excited as us and are pretty confident we've put together a great event that everyone should enjoy.

To help everyone have a stress free time before, during and after the conference, below are a few notes and links that might help you out.

Arriving
Highly Recommended reading: http://linux.conf.au/wiki/index.php/Arrival_Cheatsheet

If you're flying in to Melbourne, we will have a person stationed at Melbourne airport (MEL) all day on Sunday 15th to assist people in  locating busses and generally helping out in case they're having any problems. If you've landed in Melbourne and are completely confused, missed you bus, can't find you luggage or just want someone to hang out with, look around for the people with linux.conf.au shirts and signs, or give them a ring on 0477 450 341

If you're catching a train into Ballarat, please add you name to the page located at: http://linux.conf.au/wiki/index.php/Sharing_rides/Train
We will have a shuttle bus running from the university to Ballarat train station on Sunday 15th, with services departing the station approximately every hour (Times to leave approx. 10-15 mins after trains arrive). Alternatively you can catch a taxi or public bus from the station to the university.

Rego Desk / Accommodation
One of the first things you'll need to do once you arrive is to register/check-in for the conference to get your badge, bag, key etc.
The registration desk will be opening at 2pm on Sunday 15th. The accommodation desk, which will open at 11am, will be located alongside the rego desk on Sunday 15th and in the accommodation services office (Well sign posted) for the remainder of the week. These desks will remain open until 9pm on the 15th however if you are arriving later than this and need to check-in to accommodation, please contact us via our on-call mobile: 0477 450 341

Newcomers' Session
Rusty Russell has kindly agreed to once again hold this session to help those coming along to their first linux.conf.au get the most out of the week. This will begin at 4pm on Sunday 15th in the Caro convention centre.
See: http://linux.conf.au/programme/sunday

General info
The combined powers of the conference organisers and some helpful attendees have resulted in there being a wealth of knowledge available on the conference wiki: http://linux.conf.au/wiki
I cannot stress enough how much great info there is here and highly recommend you take a read through. These pages will be updated from now until the end of the conference, so make sure to keep checking back for the latest info.

See you all Under the Stars in a weeks time!

- Josh Stewart

Conference director
linux.conf.au 2012 - Ballarat 16- 20 Jan
http://lcaunderthestars.org.au