[lca-announce] Kids and Conferences

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Tue Dec 11 15:24:34 EST 2012

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far … hold on. Let's start that
again. A long, long time ago, when the LCA 2013 team were first talking
about putting a bid together (ah! We were so young and innocent then!),
one of the big things we wanted to make sure we got right was making the
conference accessible for parents and their children. We understand that
not all parents have a partner who can (or want to!) take the kids on
the partners' programme, that sometimes both parents are interested in
the conference, and that childcare for a week in January can often be
difficult, expensive, or just impossible. Many of our core organisers
have children, and it's a problem we've all had to deal with in
different ways at some stage.

With all that in mind, we've decided to continue what LCA Ballarat
started, and provide a childcare room not too far away from the main
conference venue where you can chill out with the kids, put them down
for a nap, feed them, or give them a little time to play (and you a
little time to sit down!). We're taking it one step further, though, by
also providing qualified and certified childcare workers to be in the
room as well. Of course, you're welcome to stay with your children for
as long as you want to, but when you want to head out to that talk, you
can do so safe in the knowledge that your children are in good hands.

We intend to stock the room with a whole  bunch of fun things, including
toys, video games, and DVDs. We also hope to be able to offer some
bedding for naps (for the little people!), and some supervised outdoor
play time.

For more information, and to get specific details about the childcare
arrangement for the conference, you need to be on the parents mailing
list. This is also the place where parents can discuss their
arrangements, and make sure that the conference is going to be just as
much of a party for their children as it is for the big people. Sign up
here: