[lca-announce] Final keynote for linux.conf.au 2012 to be given by Jacob Appelbaum!

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Thu Dec 1 23:52:07 EST 2011

Hi FOSS lovers!

Can you believe its only 45 days until linux.conf.au 2012 kicks off in Ballarat? Well, just in case the excitement hasn't started to kick in yet, we're thrilled to be able to announce our 4th and final keynote speaker for the event… Mr Jacob Appelbaum!

Jacob Appelbaum (@ioerror, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Appelbaum) is a renowned, independent internet security professional, accomplished photographer, software hacker and world traveller.

A developer for The Tor Project, Appelbaum trains interested parties globally on how to effectively use and contribute to the Tor network. Since its initial release, Tor has enabled roughly 36 million people around the world to experience freedom of access and expression on the Internet while keeping them in control of their privacy and anonymity. Its network has proved pivotal in dissident movements in both Iran and more recently Egypt.

A driving force in the team behind the creation of the Cold Boot Attacks, Appelbaum won both the Pwnie for Most Innovative Research award and the Usenix Security best student paper award in 2008. Additionally, he was part of the MD5 Collisions Inc. team that created a rogue CA certificate by using a cluster of 200 PlayStations funded by the Swiss taxpayers. The "MD5 considered harmful today" research was awarded the best paper award at CRYPTO 2009.

He is also a staff research scientist at the University of WashingtonSecurity and Privacy lab. Appelbaum is also a founding member of the hacklab Noisebridge in San Francisco where he indulges his interests in magnetics, cryptography and consensus based governance.

To whet your appetite before his keynote at linux.conf.au 2012, you can watch some of Jacob's previous presentations at:
	• http://www.sonoma.edu/newscenter/2011/11/wikileaks-volunteer-jacob-appelbaum-explores-internet-censorship-and-surveillance-nov-17.htmlhttps://plus.google.com/u/1/100543391610947530518/posts/DAS542X1qEJ

Full details of the announcement can be found at: http://linux.conf.au/media/news/72

On behalf of the linux.conf.au 2012 team, we're hugely exctied to have Jacob join our other keynote speakers:
	• Karen Sandler - http://linux.conf.au/media/news/51
	• Bruce Perens - http://linux.conf.au/media/news/32
	• Paul Fenwick - http://linux.conf.au/media/news/68
We hope you'll all join us in Ballarat for what is shaping up to be a great linux.conf.au!

- Josh Stewart

Conference director
linux.conf.au 2012 - Ballarat 16- 20 Jan
http://lcaunderthestars.org.au

- linux.conf.au 2012 -
	• linux.conf.au will be held 16th-20th January 2012 in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.
	• Registrations for are now open and will remain so until Jan 16 or sold out!
	• The draft conference schedule is available at: http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule
	• Media enquiries are warmly welcomed to media at lcaunderthestars.org.au
	• Please follow us at @linuxconfau on Twitter and Identica.