[Grants] Grant Application from Jennifer Sims for Sports Connection Australia - Gender Diverse Sporting Streaming

Jennifer Sims jennifer at sportsconnectionaustralia.com.au
Sat Jul 20 00:05:29 AEST 2024

I think what is important is to work through the question as best I can and help you understand thing.

Q:
- Some specifics around the cost breakdown would be helpful, for example
what equipment would be purchased to work with the OBS platform? What is
the expected lifespan of the equipment - I'm very aware that many
devices have a usable life of only 2-3 years these days (sadly). Are
there costings available for that equipment?

A:
The item being purchased is a PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) camera that would be used.
RGB Link is approximately $2000 at present.

---
Q:
Would there be documentation written and made openly available so that
the solution could be replicated by other groups, therefore meaning that
the Grant, if funded, has higher impact?

A:
Absolutely, this is an important part is to help the community grow and support each other because that's the basis of "Open Source". And would be 100% something that can be committed too.
---

Q:
- Are there milestones or phases for this Grant (which is 20% of the
Grants pool for this year) - for example, Step 1 might be "get OBS
working with hardware" and Step 2 might be "document the solution" while
Step 3 might be "have someone else validate the solution works with a
different event"?

A: Not specifically, it's a single item purchase. However, the follow on steps are a good point to have in place.

--

And the other question was could it be replicated at the other events, ABSOLUTELY. I believe I've had discussion(s) with other LA members.

Jen
________________________________
The key benefit I see from supporting this Grant would be to have a
replicable and repeatable event streaming solution, that could be used
not just by Sports Connection Australia, but by other groups looking for
a similar solution. The diversity angle here that I see is about greater
audience engagement in activities, facilitated by open source solutions
- but please let me know if I've mis-interpreted that.

To this end, there are some questions which highlight how this request
could be more strongly aligned to Linux Australia's goals.

- Some specifics around the cost breakdown would be helpful, for example
what equipment would be purchased to work with the OBS platform? What is
the expected lifespan of the equipment - I'm very aware that many
devices have a usable life of only 2-3 years these days (sadly). Are
there costings available for that equipment?

- Would there be documentation written and made openly available so that
the solution could be replicated by other groups, therefore meaning that
the Grant, if funded, has higher impact?

- Are there milestones or phases for this Grant (which is 20% of the
Grants pool for this year) - for example, Step 1 might be "get OBS
working with hardware" and Step 2 might be "document the solution" while
Step 3 might be "have someone else validate the solution works with a
different event"?

I also want to acknowledge the efforts Jen and her team put into audio
visual at Everything Open 2024 in Gladstone, which was all done on a
volunteer basis. This speaks to Jen's knowledge around this space, and
the potential for this Grant to contribute to a replicable, repeatable
solution for streaming events using open source software.

Kind regards,

Kathy Reid

-