[Grants] Re: RISC-V hardware for software development - grant application decision

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jan 8 22:00:08 AEDT 2024

On Thursday, 21 December 2023 11:58:16 AEDT Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> > 2/ I appreciate the feedback, though I must confess to feeling
> > disappointed in the lack of discussion.  I had assumed, erroneously, the
> > grants process would be a dialog with questions/answers, to help
> > refine/strengthen the proposal, and provide Council with answers to its
> > questions. ...
>
> This is a fair comment.  It is worth noting that it's not just Council who
> can ask questions on the grants list: any Linux Australia member can
> subscribe to the Grants list and make suggestions and ask questions.  For
> better or worse, this time of year is very busy for Council as we work to
> finalise the year's activities, put the annual report together and prepare

There is nothing stopping us from submitting future requests for related
things in the next grant period and I plan to do so.  After Everything Open I
think I will have a stronger case and additionally I anticipate that the
ongoing changes in the computer industry will show the value of such things.

I have just bought a LicheePi is in transit now, when I get it going I'll make
it available over the Internet to David and to other people I can trust not to
do anything reckless.  I will also provide VM access to people who I don't
know as well as a VM should give less potential to damage the somewhat
expensive hardware.