[Grants] Grant Application from Lyndsey Jackson for Hack The Triangle Digital Skills Holiday Workshops

Linux Australia Website admin-team at linux.org.au
Thu Nov 30 21:43:16 AEDT 2023

Your Email Address: jackson.lyndsey at gmail.com
Project name: Hack The Triangle Digital Skills Holiday Workshops
Grant Type: Project Grant
Aim of the project: Our aim is to empower young people from small regional towns in with valuable digital skills. We have successfully piloted tech projects involving drones, soldering, and NFC jewelry workshops, and we now seek funding to expand and sustain these initiatives and to create shareable resources such as workshop materials and reuseable grant applications for other communities. Four stages are outlined in this application, the first stage to be completed in January 2024 is part that these requested funds will cover. This first stage is a key part of enabling the remaining stages of the project and the creation of materials and grant applciations to share with other communities.
Stage 1: Digital Skills Workshops (January 2024)
Milestone 1: Host three digital skills workshops during the summer school holidays in our town. These workshops will engage local youth, providing them with hands-on experience in tech-related activities.
Milestone 2: Use grant funds to purchase workshop supplies, cover administrative labor costs, and provide honorariums to young people who assist in workshop design and development.
Milestone 3: Refine workshop content and documentation. Create a comprehensive "how-to" package that can be shared with other towns interested in similar initiatives during National Science Week and Youth Week.
Stage 2: Rotary Club Presentation (2024)
Milestone 4: Present our drone program to the local Rotary Club, emphasizing the importance of drones in agriculture and conservation. Seek their support to potentially expand our project through their extensive network of over 500 clubs worldwide.
Stage 3: Expanding Project Reach (2024)
Milestone 5: Apply for a larger National Science Week grant. Encourage other regional towns to apply for National Science Week grants to run the same workshops independently and set up their own Drone Squads. With our larger grant application we aim to take our workshops to multiple regional towns along the same route we covered in 2023, thereby expanding the reach of our digital skills initiatives. A successful Linux Australia grant would assist this grant application as it could be counted towards that.
Stage 4: Building a Network of Young Leaders
Milestone 6: Foster a network of young people in regional towns who can independently organize and run similar tech-related activities, creating a sustainable impact beyond our initial efforts.
We have called the Drone Squad program Hack the Drones and you can see a video and photos on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/hackthedrones
Estimated cost breakdown of the project: As we expand beyond our pilot phase, we've identified the need for additional materials. Any surplus equipment will be used ongoing the Hack The Triangle group. This equipment will support our mobile tech trailer, allowing us to bring workshops to underserved regional areas. Many of these towns lack access to such projects, so our goal is to inspire community maker spaces and encourage investment in accessible equipment.
NFC workshop - aiming for 20 young people - excess material will go to future workshops/the tech trailer
Resin jewlery material: $300
NFC tags: $50
Drone workshop
1 x Tello drone $240
Spare drone propellars & propellar cage: $100
Soldering Workshop
Fans: $100
Stands: $100
Soldering iron and wire stuff: $100
Kids soldering kits: $300
Young volunteers honourarium: $250
Administrative support: $660
Total requested: $2,000
Project funds are managed through Open Collective, ensuring financial accountability and transparency.
Project team details: The project lead is 16 year old Abel, Abel is often helped by their 7 year old sister Asha. Abel and Asha have been actively forming a group of young people who have been involved in running and designing the workshops. Abel is committed to helping local young people and sharing that knowledge with other communties.
The project will be aucpiced by WeCollaborate under the Hack The Triangle project in South Australia. WeCollaborate is a social enterprise set up by Lyndsey Jackson and Amy Patterson, both of whom are technologists and activists committed to open source, open culture, and open knowledge sharing. Hack the Triangle is project spearheaded by Lyndsey in her home town region in South Australia. The Hack the Triangle group is a collective of local people supporting local projects and young people within the community.
First Name: Lyndsey
Last Name: Jackson
Email Address: lyndsey at wecollaborate.com.au
A statement including a willingness to provide regular project updates on the project: We will willingly procide regular project updates. We will publish updates and share content on our facebook page and a new website that we have under development.