[Grants] [LACTTE] Grant Application from Russell Coker for FOSS on Mobile Phones

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Wed May 10 22:47:19 AEST 2023

Hi Russell

After reading through the "FOSS for mobile phones" grant application I have
a few questions to help clarify what is planned for this project.

The application outlines a significant number of tasks: LORA support,
refinements needed to FOSS phones so they can be used as a "daily driver",
security enhancements, and convergence to name a few.  Each one of these
appears to be fairly involved and won't all be completed quickly.  Is it
possible to provide a prioritised list of the work plan, a rough idea as to
when the community might see the results, and an outline of how the
community can expect to benefit from the work facilitated by this grant?

It is noted that "The work needed to achieve the aim of making the PinePhone
work well as a regular use mobile phone depends on what areas it has
problems with."  Have you investigated what these might be, as I expect this
would facilitate your planning?

Another stated aim is to "develop a community of developers for mobile FOSS
in Australia".  Are there specific ideas about how this might be done?

The technical goals of the project are not clear from what was written in
the grant application.  Is it possible to provide more clarity around this?

Finally, I note that there are other pinephone models which are half the
price of the Pinephone Pro Explorer.  Both are Linux-based phones, but there
must be specific reasons why the grant requests the "Pro" version
specifically.  Could those reasons be shared?

I am looking forward to your response so I can better understand the ideas
behind the grant application.

Regards
  jonathan