[Grants] Grant Application from David M Williams for RISC-V hardware

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Dec 2 12:35:03 AEDT 2023

For this application I think that the 16/128 modules (16G of RAM and 128G of
storage) is the correct choice.  Nowadays you can't do much in the server
space with only 8G of RAM and while optimising things for RAM efficiency would
be a good thing to do, having it work on 16G first would be best.  Also for
educational purposes a cluster of 16/128 modules could provide 14*6G VMs or
21*4G VMs which could be really good for running a training course.

Another reason for getting the bigger modules is that 32G of storage isn't a
lot and the cluster doesn't appear to have any options for connecting M.2 or
SATA storage so more storage on device is needed.  128G also allows for
experimenting with cluster filesystems, 7*100G storage nodes connected via the
built in GigE might be usable for a Ceph setup with 16G of RAM per node.

I also recommend getting the version with the chassis as the chassis is cheap,
looks like good quality, and the grant application is NOT for hardware work
but for software work.  So paying extra to avoid hardware hacking is
appropriate.