[Grants] Grant Application from Kathy Reid for Canberra Python Users Group meetup support

Linux Australia Website admin-team at linux.org.au
Fri Jul 23 11:33:54 AEST 2021

Your Email Address: kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Project name: Canberra Python Users Group meetup support
Aim of the project: The Canberra Python Users Group has now met regularly in Canberra, at the ANU, for several years. It has grown to be a vibrant, regular, gathering of people interested in Python, and attracts attendees from government, industry, academia and the general public. Once a month a formal talk is given, which is a good seeding ground for talks for events like PyConAU and LCA.  CPUG has previously held "hub" events for LCA and plan to do same for PyConAU later this year.
We usually provide pizza and soft drink at each meetup, and would like a grant to continue doing this. It might seem frivolous to ask for a grant for pizza and soft drink, but it's an attractor for our community, and it helps to build relationships.
We have previously had sponsors for CPUG, but given COVID, one of them is no longer in a position to continue sponsoring, and another potential sponsor requires a formal bank account and organisational structure in order to sponsor. That is, we have other options, but an LA grant is low-overhead for us at the moment.
Estimated cost breakdown of the project: We have kept receipts going back 18 months, and we average $AUD 100 per month on pizza and soft drink.
We anticipate doing monthly reimbursements via LA's financial system if this grant were approved.
Total cost for one year: $AUD 1200
Project team details: CPUG is organised by Elena Willians, Jonah Sullivan, Zac Hatfield-Dodds and Kathy Reid. We all have strong track records in the Australian open source scene.
First Name: Kathy
Last Name: Reid
Email Address: kathy at kathyreid.id.au
A statement including a willingness to provide regular project updates on the project: We will be willing to provide regular updates on CPUG.