[Grants] New Zealand Open Source Society Grant Request

Steven Ellis steven.ellis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:16:16 AEST 2018

*Website* - https://nzoss.org.nz/

NZOSS Mission Statement - The NZOSS exists to "share the freedom of open
source software, open standards, and open information for the benefit of
New Zealand."

*Current 2017/18 Council*
 https://nzoss.org.nz/content/nzoss-council-for-2017-18

    • Dave Lane - President NZOSS. Founder of Egressive in Christchurch
focused on Open Source technologies. Currently works for the Open Education
Resources Foundation in the role of "Open Source Technologist"
    • Tim McNamara - Vice President
    • Danny Adair - Works at Catalyst NZ. Local and regional member of the
Python Community, and current President of NZ Python User Group
    • Steven Ellis - Works at Red Hat NZ. Vice Chair of LCA 2015 in
Auckland and a long standing advoate for Open Source
    • Rob Elshire - Secretary -  Independent Genomics Scientist. Developed
an Open Genetics Analysist (genotyping-by-sequencing)  method widely used
in the agricultural, ecology and conservation biology disciplines.
    • Carl Klitscher - Treasurer,  Active IITP Member and long  Open Source
Advocate.
    • Aimee Whitcroft  - Open Govt and Open Data - involved with Gov Hack
in NZ for the last 3 years.

*Overview*

NZOSS operates as an NZ Registered Charity, funded by a small number of
sponsors and its financial members (https://nzoss.org.nz/join).

In addition to representing the Open Source community across New Zealand in
the last year the society has participated in

    • Advocacy for Open Source to NZ Govt
    • Including historical opposition to a number of XML Patent
applications in NZ
    • https://nzoss.org.nz/content/nzoss-wins-patent-opposition
    • The running of an OpenSource Track at ITX in 2017 and 2018
    • Attended NZ Tech meetups alongside NZ Rise, Internet NZ - Nudge DAVE
    • Hosting regional Open Source meetups, initially in Christchurch,
Auckland and Wellington
    • Local sponsor of Open Source conferences and events
    • Key participant in the NZ Open Source Awards
    • Advisor to LCA 2010, 2015 and 2019 held in NZ

In order to grow we need to re-invest in our infrastructure and grow the
awareness of the society. The 2015 linux.conf.au helped raise awareness of
Open Source technologies and capabilities and we can't afford to loose
momentum. With the return of linux.conf.au in 2019 to NZ we've got a
perfect opportunity to expand the awareness of Open Source, Open Hardware,
Open Govt and Open Data.

Our short term plan is to improve our membership management system while
continuing to support out Open Source awareness and outreach.

NZOSS have monthly council meetings and the minutes/actions can be made
available to the Linux Australia Council.

Request is for the sum of NZD $5000 to enhance our infrastructure to
increase membership growth and sustainability whilst continuing our current
local advocacy.