[Flounder] Computer Monitors

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jan 29 09:45:59 AEDT 2024

On Sunday, 28 January 2024 11:13:50 AEDT DL Neil via Flounder wrote:
> Only because monitors became a discussion topic during yesterday's meeting:
>
> 7 Unconventional Types of Computer Monitors
> BY
> BEMFICA DE OLIVA
> PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
> https://www.howtogeek.com/unconventional-types-of-computer-monitors/

http://tinyurl.com/yt8rhf4d

5120*2880 monitors are coming down in price, still ridiculously expensive.  In
the US they are under $1K but they don't post internationally, makes me wonder
if I could get a 27" monitor in hand luggage...

The cheapest 5120*2880 monitors are in second-hand Macs that are going cheap
because of having Intel CPUs.  I have idly considered buying an old Mac as an
Xterm, $400 for a high resolution monitor.

https://etbe.coker.com.au/2020/07/02/desklab-portable-usb-c-monitor/

Portable USB-C touch screens are another category of monitor, they are getting
cheap nowadays.  There are also ones with built in keyboard and batteryx -
everything you need to transform your phone into a laptop!

There are apparently "adult" sites with 8K content, so hopefully that will
drive demand for 8K monitors and get the prices down.  8K should allow 64
Xterms on one screen!!!

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-6k-monitor-u3224kb/apd/210-bhrp/monitors-monitor-accessories

This is the best monitor for my needs with a listed price at the moment,
6144*3456 at 32" for $3600.  Way out of my price range.

https://www.pcgamer.com/tcl-touts-fully-concave-and-8k-oled-pc-monitors-using-new-low-cost-inkjet-panel-tech/

TCL claims to have affordable 8K monitors this year, but you need a Radeon RX
7000 to drive one unless you get a monitor that can divide the screen into 2
virtual screens and have 2*HDMI or DisplayPort cables.