[Flounder] FIDO2 meeting report

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jan 20 17:44:21 AEDT 2024

I was going to email the chat but the copy/paste operation failed.  In future
I'll paste the notes BEFORE ending the meeting.  So I'll write stuff from
memory.

The Debian package fido2-tools allows talking to U2F devices (dongles for
FIDO2) and I used it to talk to a Yubico device I got from work.

https://webauthn.io/
https://webauthn.bin.coffee/

The above web sites test the WebauthN functionality of your browser and
hardware.  Chrome and the Yubikey work on Debian/Bookworm for me.

https://www.yubico.com/products/security-key/

Yubikeys start at $25US which is reasonably affordable.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/solokeys/somu#products
https://tomu.im/somu.html

The Somu is an open source hardware device which does this and costs $35.

https://github.com/ellerh/softfido

Softfido is a software emulation of Fido hardware.  It is not in Debian but
the Debian package softhsm provides the dependency for it.

https://wiki.debian.org/Security/U2F

The Debian U2F wiki page is worth reading.

https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=151442

People have got LUKS unlocking via Fido2 keys.

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/66429.html

Your LUKS key derivation function can be a weakness in your LUKS setup.  This
is separate from Fido2/TPM stuff.

Everyone had fun and learned some things, so the meeting was a success even
though we didn't get Fido2 emulation working.