[Flounder] Flounder Hack Day - *today* 1PM Melbourne time, 03:00 UTC

DL Neil NZOSS at etelligence.info
Sat Sep 17 07:30:29 AEST 2022

(I'm not sure if I've mentioned this project before)

Have a little HP Elite x2 G1?2 both as a portable and as a tablet (the
"x2" bit). The device comes with MS-Win10 and all parts appear to work
happily. Would like to convert it to Linux. It is my first foray into
touch-screens.

Am 'test-driving' various distros (actually Window/Desktop Managers).
Most deliver portable-PC functionality, but the challenge is to find one
which will drive it in tablet-mode. A fellow member from the Auckland
LUG has shown me his success - so it has been done, but
distro-foibles/personal-preferences rear-up...

H/w specs are more than sufficient. User specs are simple and
consuming-mode only*: web-browser, email, eBook and PDF-reading, and
thus file-manager/nav. Web includes videos, eg YouTube, and video-calls,
eg our own BBB. Email-client should be Thunderbird (from which arises an
issue, possibly-related to GUI-choice). The required-'gestures' include
rapid zoom, swipe-scrolling, and automatic display re-orientation.

* cf 'creative' tools such as an IDE or L/O-Office. That said, have been
thinking that Writer will be needed, if only to be able to read incoming
email-attachments that are not .PDF!

Started looking at various ideas from the Purim, Android-replacement,
etc, topics. Some PCs supported (maybe), but not this one. So, moved to
Linux-proper. That said, the only reason for looking at current distros
is to catch a relatively-recent release with gestures-plumbing built-in.

Double-UEFI-booting has been achieved, and have downloaded and installed
various 'likely-candidates':
- Linux Mint 19 + Mate,
- Linux Mint 20 + Cinnamon,
- Fedora 36 Workstation + Gnome3.

Next-up is Ubuntu 20.

Thereafter will look for recommendations to try KDE Plasma, or any other
compelling recommendation...

--
Regards =dn