[Flounder] Secure Logins and a grant application

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat May 7 14:53:54 AEST 2022

For today's meeting we discussed various uses of TPMs and hardware
authentication devices.  As the planned lecture was unable to be presented due
to Covid I spoke about some of the Linux security investigation I've been
doing for my day job and the discussion turned to secure tokens etc.

https://tomu.im/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIDO2_Project

The Tomu family of devices seem very useful.  The original Tomu lists FIDO2
support as "maybe" while the Somu has it as a yes.  I belive that it would be
good to get FIDO2 used by free software organisations and supported by free
software developers and sysadmins.  Also it's worth noting that for a single
unit almost half the overall cost will be shipping!  Therefore buying in bulk
makes sense.

To further the goal of increasing the support for FIDO2 in free software I
believe that we should arrange a suitable group of developers and sysadmins
and apply for a Linux Australia grant to buy Somu devices.  I think that it
would be good to get 2 per developer/sysadmin so they can have 1 for testing
and 1 for more serious use.

The people in the meeting were myself, Nick, DL Neil, and David Zhan.  So that
accounts for 8 Somu keys which means we are approaching $600 worth.

Input required from others, finding other people who can do useful work with
Somu keys and writing a more formal grant application.  LA doesn't require a
lot of formality but something better than this email.