[Flounder] volunteers needed

DL Neil NZLUG at etelligence.info
Thu Mar 10 16:40:55 AEDT 2022

On 10/03/2022 01.27, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Monday, 7 March 2022 14:54:51 AEDT DL Neil via Flounder wrote:
>> On 07/03/2022 16.09, Russell Coker via Flounder wrote:

> http://b.coker.com.au which is on that page redirects to the BBB instance

I'm happy (in as much as that is worth) with the re-direct (as you are)

- as long as it is obvious to the person who 'got lost', how (s)he gains
access to meetings.

wrt BBB 'security':

>> The choices are:
>>
>> 1 'security through obscurity'
>> Some groups rely upon their small number of members to keep the URL
>> fairly unknown, but maintain the same URL for months/years. (cf nr 4)
>>
>> 2 'abracadabra'
>> A conference can be set to only admit members who know an Access Code.
>> Such a code would need to be distributed to intending attendees - and
>> presumably a new code generated for each meeting.
>>
>> 3 'gatekeeper'
>> A conference can similarly be set to only allow approved-persons to
>> attend. This would require someone to act as Cerberus (inverted). Also
>> that (s)he would have a list of members and/or intending attendees.
>>
>> 4 'rotational'
>> Each month/meeting/period, we generate a new URL for use. This would
>> have to be (re-)published in-advance, and confuses anyone who doesn't
>> realise the practice (by trying to use that which worked 'last time')
>>
>> Per Russell's call for assistance, please note that options 2 and 3
>> require more 'work'/'workers' - both on the part of the attendee and of
>> some 'administrator'!
>>
>> At the moment we've started at option-1. I'll be happy to facilitate as
>> you (Russell) and/or you (member) see fit...
>
> Changing the Apache redirect is easy enough so rotating it occasionally
> wouldn't be difficult.  If we chose the Gatekeeper method then the plan would
> be to just admit anyone who wants to join at the appointed time, I don't
> anticipate hecklers joining, and if they did we could just mute them.

Yes, if we're going through the above re-direct, then any BBB URL-change
can be managed easily and 'behind the scenes' (entre-nous).

Yes, as you say, if we have problems, Moderators have the power to mute
or even 'boot' a "heckler"...
(and yes, there was one incident during a recent meeting when 'the Mrs'
needed immediate assistance, so the forgetful person's mic was muted for
him, to spare any blushes)

Am glad the BBB-instance is proving its worth! Thanks to NZOSS and their
sponsor: CatalystCloud...

--
Regards =dn