[Debian-au] debian mirrors automatic compression

Geoff Crompton geoffc at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Nov 18 13:12:41 EST 2014

Hi,

We use the aarnet mirror for debian packages. I've noticed today the
installation of a VM isn't working.

I think it may be because when I download
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/main/i18n/Translation-en,
I get a bz2 compressed file instead. I've also noticed that at
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/main/i18n/ the
uncompressed file isn't listed.

I don't think the Debian installer expects that (or at least the debian
installed I'm using, on the iso I uploaded to my virtualisation
environment many months ago). The
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/Release file
suggests I should be able to download either main/i18n/Translation-en or
main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2.

I suspect if the main/i18n/Translation-en download failed, the installer
would then try the bz2 download, and it might proceed.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

As a point of reference, it seems ftp.au.debian.org is behaving just
like mirror.aarnet.edu.au, but ftp.nz.debian.org is returning a 404 on
http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/i18n/Translation-en.

--
Geoff Crompton, System Administrator
T: +61 (0)3 9348 7138