[Debian-au] DebSIG this Wednesday (September 11)

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Thu Sep 12 05:32:13 UTC 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 05:16:31PM +1000, Anand Kumria wrote:

> So tonight we'll have Brendan O'Dea speaking on Perl 5.8.0 packaging,
> features, etc. We will probably get to see that bastard child of
> text-editors: vile (VI like Emacs).

Brendan explained what was new with Perl 5.8.0 (threading, Unicode) what
he wanted to put in (64 bit file access) but wasn't able to. Reasons for
the binary incompatibilities between 5.8 and 5.6

He also explained why he used a staging area, what was the greatest
cause of his problems (different architectures). He pointed out that the
next release of Perl may also be binary incompatible (due to gcc 3.2) and
pondered what to do about it (punt to others).

Unfortunately Brendan isn't as good a pool player as he is a speaker and
lost the games he played. All in all a good night was had by all.

Cheers,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never