[Cbsupport] Web cameras for Linux

Alastair Poole alastairpoole at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 02:52:24 UTC 2007

Hi Kylie,

Webcams and Linux are a strange thing.  There are two kernel and
userspace APIs - V4L1 and V4L2 and therefore drivers use either of
these.  Many programs don't support both userspace APIs at all or
properly.

With V4L2 colour conversion is now done outside of the kernel so it's up
to the application to do correct colour conversions.  Essentially you
won't find many cameras which will work with all applications.  The only
program with any semi-sane functionality is gnomemeeting (Ekiga),
however I don't think anyone wants to speak to other geeks (as that is
all you can talk to easily).

I have a V4L2 camera that I am happy to give away to whoever wants it.
It will work with Linux but like almost all other cameras, it won't work
with all applications.

The main reason we have no video for Skype on Linux is the fragmentation
of the Video4Linux project (they are already talking about V4L3).  So
don't expect any fun for a long time, also they are out of resources and
time.  Webcams and Linux really don't go together very well I'm afraid
to say.  If you are interested in discussing the problems of Linux and
video devices you can try speaking to mchebab on the freenode IRC
network (head of the Video4Linux Project).

Anyway I hope this helps a bit.

regards,

Alastair