[Cbsupport] cbv distro

John Simpson john.s.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 09:21:45 UTC 2007

Rohan

If you follow the directions exactly it should work, we have used those
directions many times for loading laptops and only failed when someone has
not followed the directions exactly, inluding using the correct spacing and
case for things.

the final part of the install should be

mv /boot /boot.old
ln -s /new/boot /boot
lilo -C /new/etc/lilo.conf

Now if you had followed the directions correctly, you should have /dev/hda2
mounted on /new and it'll all work, if you have mounted it in a different
folder, then you'll have to make sure your paths are correct or it will just
not work

On 8/13/07, Rohan Malhotra <rohan.malhotra at student.rmit.edu.au> wrote:

> hey there,
>
> the txt document does actually say to use a capital C as in , ' lilo -C
> /new/etc/lilo.conf' i was just too lazy to reference the example properly.
> nevertheless i did try with a capital C and it did not return '" Added
> Linux".
>
> just to clarify:
>
> from what i understand i have to first move the /boot
> folder from the knoppix '/' system to a new folder called /boot.old
>
> then make a link to /boot (from the '/' knoppix system) on my cbv hdd
> (/mnt/hda2).
>
> then run lilo (somehow?) and presumably by doing so it will fix it up?
>
> thx
>
> rohan
>

> Hi Rohan,
>
> The lilo command is with a capital C - that will make all the world of
> difference. eg lilo -C /new/etc/lilo.conf
>
> After running that command you should see
> * Added Linux
>
> We'll update the doc to include that info.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Kylie
>
> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 20:25 +1000, Rohan Malhotra wrote:
> > 'then make a link from the hdd to the /boot folder by typing: ln
> > -s /new/boot /boot."
> >
> > that works too
> >
> > 'Now you run lilo to install the bootloader by typing: 'lilo
> > -c /new/etc/lilo.conf".
> >
> > this part doesn't really seem to do anything, as it returns a prompt
> > for more options; all the previous commands give you a blank prompt
> > indicating they've done something and they don't need more
> > information.
> >
> > anyways so from what i understand i have to first move the /boot
> > folder from the knoppix '/' system to a new folder called /boot.old
> >
> > then make a link to /boot (from the '/' knoppix system) on my cbv hdd
> > (/mnt/hda2).
> >
> > then run lilo and presumably by doing so it will fix it up?
> >
> > any pointers would b much appreciated
> >
> > thx
> >
> > rohan

John Simpson

http://nighthawk.mine.nu/
"Quantum Physics: The dreams stuff is made of."