[cai-sa] Re: [Cbsupport] Which Distro?

Kylie Davies mailkylie at optushome.com.au
Fri Jul 2 16:40:01 UTC 2004

Hi all Romana, Roland and co...

At CBV...we are developing a knoppix based distro... so far so
good! And it is fast...once you remove all the *crap* that seems
to take CPU/Mem in the process table.

I am going to send the knoppix hd install guide I've written
next...and then I will send some additional notes.

While the guides i am going to send...involve apt-get removing
and apt-get installing lotsa packages... we have made (thanks
Ed!) scripts that automate all of this! Yay...

We have the knoppix install to around 1.8g...but we can get it
down to around 1.6g (maybe 1.5)... if we are lucky (purge
locales, remove gcc and some other stuff). :)

Using our own experience (we've shipped more than 1000 systems
and trained more than 600+ non-linux users!) as a guide....the
new distro comes with everything users need and want......as such
it includes J2Re (which comes with knoppix), flashplugin-nonfree
and we also include the realplayer binary (installer) in /usr/local

We've put some additional packages in (see guide) and taken heaps
  out. (See the guide for the lowdown)

We love the config tools in Knoppix - soundcardconfig (redhat
utility), netcardconfig and kxconfig (X config).

So far we are very happy with it.

The next step is tarring it up ...adding the kernel/drivers
layer....and wallah! We have people working on this. We will also
be able to produce an installable CD (one disk) if all goes to plan.

Oh...and one more thing...person who is our new distro builder is
MOI! ... while I am linux savvy... i don't know that much...but
still managed to build a debian system...and document the process
as well.

Anyway.... that's my 2c worth....guides next...and try it for
yourself....it's too easy.

Cheers,

Kylie

--