[Cbsupport] Which Distro?

Romana Branden romana at timelady.com
Fri Jul 2 05:02:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 10:42:43PM +1000, David Robb imparted:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:26 pm, Roland Bernett wrote:
> I think you underestimate the hardware support in Debian. Based on my
> experiences, it's mainly new hardware you have to worry about. I know I've
> never owned a computer that has hardware Debian can't deal with.

having just set up my shiny brand new athlon 2600 acer laptop, let me assure you that debian has NO issues with new hardware that i've noticed.

i havent had debian let me down with the older hardware we get here, or
newer stuff ive had a chance to play with.

we use fedora here currently. tried mandrake. easy to install, sure, but
the bloat of both, given the small amount of hdd space (the std install takes up AT LEAST 2gb) we have to play with often is migrating us
back to debian - the flexibility, the ease of configuration, the ability
to create a neat customised install is everything. pete gossner is
working on it here.

> Due to the non-free status of Lindows, as well as various other issues
> including security, I'd personally recommend against that.

users are auto root. *shudder*. the support horror of it all....

> Another option that Computerbank Victoria has been toying with lately is
> Knoppix. It's a very user friendly Debian-based distro with excellent
> hardware support designed to run completely from a CD without any need for a
> hard drive, but it can be installed to hard drive if you like. It does have
> its downside; the hard drive install requires a hard disk partition larger
> than 2GB, and the entire system is copied from the CD, including quite a lot
> of packages that aren't really necessary for a computer being sent out by
> Computerbank. Once you go through and remove all the unnecessary stuff, it's
> quite well-suited for Computerbank use.

ive installed it on two machines now. the same machines were then
migrating to straight debian, with same packages. the speed
difference!!! knoppix is bloaty and a bit too slow for my taste.
but hey, its a quick type of debian.
what was that about debian hw support again?;)  )

hth, r:)
--
Romana Branden
ITShare SA Inc/ComputerbankSA