[Cbsupport] [Fwd: Re: Adobe Illustator CS]

Simeon Scott shevek at bur.st
Mon Aug 30 01:35:02 UTC 2004

Deb&Max,

I'm not familiar with Illustrator CS, but the Illustrator native file
format which I am aware of, .ai, is basically encapsulated postscript,
ie .eps, which can be read by ghostview, but isn't very amenable to
editing by other applications.

I just found this one, Cenon, haven't tried it. Let me know if you need
help getting it to work (or if it works!):

http://www.cenon.info

Cenon says it can import postscript and some other vector formats, so
probably you can import the .ai or else, use Illustrator to export some
other format it can read.

There is a livecd which you can boot and use Cenon with without
installing, if you want to try it out. I will drop in a copy of this
livecd to cbv this week or next (when I get some blanks).

http://linuks.mine.nu/gnustep/

Yes, Openoffice.org draw is an excellent free vector graphics editor. I
am proposing to run a course in cbv on this and perhaps other linux
graphics tools for dtp. I recommend learning this one, rather than
trying to learn something else which can edit .ai, first. :)

Why? Because most linux users interested in DTP now have Openoffice
already installed. It will become the defacto standard office ap, just
as MS Office is/was (ie not just for linux).

Openoffice can embed an eps file in a drawing, and you can draw over the
top, so can change them that way. But it's not all that easy.

Perhaps your best bet is to learn Openoffice Draw by recreating your
work using that ;)

The ghostscript package includes various tools for playing with
postscript, but they are all command line tools I think.

Coreldraw can edit postscript, and as Julien mentions, is available for
linux, but it costs $$$.

Fig / xfig can nearly edit postscript - there is an importer ps2fig -
see the faq
http://www.bio.vu.nl/thb/links/docs/xfig/faq.html#edit_eps

I don't know how good the importer is (how much of .ai it understands).

But postscript usually does not have information about object groupings,
so eg textures fill becomes a seperate object from the actual outline,
and so on, I think. It's probably your best bet for free software that
will edit native Illustrator vector format.

Perhaps you can export from Illustrator to some other format - compare
the formats listed by Openoffice and those listed by Illustrator :)

If you can get SVG export from illustrator, try using sodipodi
(Inkscape?) to edit that.

Other excellent vector graphics software for linux are Scribus which is
a complete document layout engine, and sketch (now skencil!).

Scribus and sodipodi/inkscape are the other ones really worth learning,
apart from OpenOffice I think.

Simeon