[Cbsupport] Not quite as ALMOST THERE as I thought. - A quick guide to ps, kill and man

Shaun Branden shaun at pcuse.com
Wed May 7 22:33:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:06:50AM +1000, Kylie Davies wrote:

> I'm sure there are other ways to do this... perhaps others will point
> them out. If you use your help system you can look the "ps" and "kill"
> command up in the manual pages. The "aux" and "-h" are options that the
> commands can have; they are explained in manual (man) pages.  These are
> accessible via the KDE help System and through a terminal by typing:

I think the best way is to run the command "top" which displays the main resource hogs and gives you a really good idea of what is going on with the system. you can then type "k" and the process number to kill the application. If it is still being recalcitrant, then a good "k -9 <process number>" should work wonders.

Another way you may find easier is to use the command killall, for
example "killall konqueror" will kill all the running konqueror
processes.

again you an add -9 as a switch to really teach it a lesson.

> man "insert command name you want to know about here" (enter)

The man pages have all the information you could possibly want, but they
are very terse and a bit cryptic to keep them small.

> For new users man pages in a terminal can be a little tricky to
> navigate. Use your up and down arrow keys to move up and down the man
> page (they are usually screen pages long),  using the space bar will
> allow you to navigate a page screen at a time, and pressing the q key
> will quit out of the man page. :)

man -k keyword (eg "man -k processes") will show you lots of different
applications that have something to do with *processes*, etc. You can
also search within a a man page by typing / then a word, eg "/kill" or
similar.

Hopefully you will not need to venture into the terminal too often, but
if you are a power hungry potential geek bent on world domination, then
you may find the command line interface a wonderful place to visit and
explore.

shaun