[Cbsupport] Linux address & Dell Base Station Network driver(s)

Chris Guiver guiverc at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 17:34:02 UTC 2003

Hoping someone can help - it's appeared before, but I didn't get any

The linux machine is a COMPUTERBANK supplied machine, running debian linux
it was installed with. It's a DELL LAPTOP, which was provided with a base
unit which contains a 3COM ethernet interface, but which the linux doesn't
seem to recognize.

Question 1.

How is the linux (on booting) address set ?

I've tried the /etc/hosts file assuming it's the LINUX line, but I now
gather that was (it gives me errors every boot now) supposed to point to the
internet linux site...

Question 2

What was the original address of the linux line in /etc/hosts, or can
someone paste in a copy of a standard /etc/hosts file for me.

Question 3

Is it a driver problem - why the dell laptop doesn't look or recognize the
supplied base station 3COM ethernet card. The screen, keyboard ports have
been tested and work fine, but the 3COM doesn't light up any leds, or
PINGing other machines produces nothing.

Is there anything I can do to get my computerbank linux laptop to be
recognized by any other machines on my network ?

My original request had more info - but this is a shortened version hoping
for a response.

Thanks Chris.