[Cbsupport] Removing Installed programs and Reading Documents

Peter Eckersley pde at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Apr 8 07:10:26 UTC 2003

This is correct, except that on some (newer) Debian systems, you need to
look in /usr/share/doc/ instead.

Also as a rule of thumb, you can find some information on a program by typing
"man program", for example, "man galeon" or "man apt-get".

The problem with this second type of help is that so-called man pages are
often written in techno-gibberish.  It takes a long time to learn to read
that stuff.

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:41:21PM +1000, Mark Clohesy wrote:
> To read a document file about a package on your computer have a look in
> /usr/doc there are heaps there, you could go to a console and type man
> /usr/doc for example man /usr/doc/galeon-common faq.gz to read the FAG's
> on galeon, you dont need to know the exact name as you can just type a g
> then use <TAB> to complete the rest.

Peter Eckersley
Department of Computer Science   &                  mailto:pde at cs.mu.oz.au 
IP Research Institute of Australia             http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pde
The University of Melbourne               

More information about the cbsupport mailing list