[Cbsupport] krook konquerer.

Kylie Davies mailkylie at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 3 22:24:05 UTC 2002

Hi Maryen and others,

I will attempt to answer some of your queries, however  I am going to start
with the last one.

> also when i pon my modem it will go on and then go back off again one day i
> had to do it five times to get it to work ,, yes it was fully paid up the
> isp froggy and that was the first time i had tried to get on to it that
> day. and would you guess i just looked over at the modem and it has gone
> out on me again.

This one tells me that your modem is not behaving like a modem should. I
think we will have to look at replacing it or testing it at CBank.

> Hi there at linux ,.
> Iam having problems with my system. People send me cards through the
> KDEmail and when i click onto the addresses on the email to bring them up
> konquerer comes up but all i get after it has finnished loading a is a
> blank page sometimes when i hit the refresh it would come up but if i had
> to go into another part of the greeting to pick it up all i would get is ,,

Are you using Konqueror to open these cards..?.If this is the case - perhaps
use Netscape or Mozilla.

To do this - instead of just clicking on the file within KMail - RIGHT click
on the file and a menu will appear. From here you can choose OPEN WITH.

When the OPEN WITH dialogue box appears - you want to type netscape

If these problems are happening in Netscape - then maybe we need to take a
look at your system and the Konqueror configuration. Is there anyone on this
list that has had experience with this?

> file does not exist.,, Also i tried to access the plugins that came with
> the cards , macromedia , and some other one on the netscape greetings and
> although i followed the instructions to the letter each time i still could
> not gain access.

Okay - yes you do all that the instructions say - I have done this myself.
When the box with the files opens - what you can try doing is - save the
files into /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/

The only way i can work out how to do it in Konq is by dragging a dropping
the 2 required files. When doing it this way you need to have your
filemanager open (also Konq).

When you open up the file manager you will be in your own home directory.
DONT save the files there!

Look in the left pane (the right pane has your files in it)...find the root
directory link. Click on the + button to expand that option out.

Locate the directory usr - click on that...

Locate the directory bin - click on that

Locate the directory netscape - click on that

Locate the directory plugins and stop there.

Drag and Drop the file libflashplayer.so from the macromedia download to the
plugins directory location.

Similarly - do this same action for the ShockwaveFlash.class file

Wallah...you have installed flash. :)

Next time you run Netscape (if it is open - close it and restart it) it
should be Flash enabled.

For Konq to use the plugins - we have to do a little bit of extra work.

In Konq - go to the Settings Menu on the Main Menu bar. Choose Configure
Konqeuror. When the Config dialogue box comes up - in the left pane choose
netscape plugins (it is right at the bottom!). Once you have selected this -
in the right view pane - you should see an option to scan for new plugins.
You want to do this. Upon scanning for new plugins - it should detect the
flash ones and update the browser config.

> did you know that google does not exist on a few occassions i have tried to
> use the search engines to look up things of interest and gone to the
> nescape location bar typed in the search engine to get up file does not
> exist or netscape error blah blah needs to be reset by peer.

This could be related to the modem errors or a slow connection.

I think we will have to look at these issues at Computerbank - can you give
us a call to arrane a time with us.

Hope some of this helps, if anyone else can give advice on these issues -
please do so.

Cheers,

Kylie Davies
Victorian Branch Co-ordinator