[Cbsupport] LDAP problem?

Grant Diffey nevyn-cbv at bovine.artificial-stupidity.net
Tue Dec 17 21:42:01 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 03:33:34AM -0800, Steve Paynter wrote:
> I just installed postgresql on a CB machine (hostname="mandrake").
> No obvious errors.
Why? there's a box with postgres on it already. that has tcpip listening turned on for the network

see sql.cbv.prv

> But now I get (vaguely familiar) problems:
>  * "whoami" from my account says:
>    "whoami: cannot find username for UID 1168"
>    but works fine from root.
>  * "ls -l" shows only numeric uids and gids, not names.
>  * xterm windows disappear immediately after creation.

This is unrelated to installing postgres.

> In simpler times I might have suspected /etc/passwd or /etc/group.
> Fyi:
>  * the permissions look ok:
>    "-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          886 Dec 15 21:20 /etc/passwd"
>    "-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          510 May  4  2002 /etc/group"
>  * the respective entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group look ok:
>    "postgres:x:31:32:postgres:/var/lib/postgres:/bin/sh"
>    "postgres:x:32:"
>    (and the postgres uid and gid aren't conflicting with anything else.)

this would cause postgres user to be unable to identify however there is a fallback
in /etc/nsswitch that if it can't use ldap it falls back to these files..

> Am I right to suspect LDAP?  How to fix?

Something is wrong with either.
a) networking on that machine
b) nscd on that machine
c) ldap
d) installing postgres overwrote /etc/nsswitch (this would be bad.)