[Aslug] HOWTO Streaming to android device using Ubuntu (derivatives), VLC, and android VLC Stream and Convert

Bill warvault at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 16:55:46 EST 2011

Aye Sluggers,
As per the subject, I wanted the option stream my media directly to the
Optus MyTab rather than startup the projector for every episode of Futurama
or Gilmore Girls I have the hankering to watch... I have a Thinkpad T41
setup as my media centre, running Mint 9, and I had a pretty good idea VLC
could be used to stream-encode media. Long story short I installed VLC
Stream & Convert from the Marketplace, followed its instructions to connect
to a remote webui VLC session, started an episode of Futurama. Video was
fine,  but no sound... Turns out Mint is missing a codec for ffmpeg. In
vanilla Ubuntu you need to add the medibuntu repos (already in Mint).
Then     sudo apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec-extra-52     , restart VLC,
reconnect  and BAM! You're in business. CPU usage on the "broadcast" machine
is totally reasonable, my machine is quite sensitive to intensive tasks, and
streaming doesn't even seem to run it at all hotter, and the VLC session
just sitting there unused only uses ~25mb, a waste of RAM, but hopefully it
saves my projector bulb a few hours...
Hope that helps someone out there on the mailing list,

Bill