[Aslug] Optus Mytab and meeting this month

Bill warvault at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:59:42 EST 2011

Design and quality are adequate especially at the price-point.  Make no
mistake, it's no iPad, resistive touchscreen (so no multi touch), the
backplate is kinda flimsy plastic, and the screen (admittedly through the
factory screenguard)  feels cheap too. But the body feels nicely solid, it
is far less bulky than even a 7" netbook, very close in size to a naked
Kindle v3. The screen is really bright,  but only (only?! ?!?) 800x480, that
is probably around the same as far more powerful HTC or Samsung phones.
Performance-wise it barely runs Angry Birds Rio after the first few levels
but as a device to browse for torrents, read my newsfeeds, email, make and
receive calls, Skype-chat (calls haven't worked well so far, but my
connection has been shaped since it arrived...), SSHing into my server
(using Hackers Keyboard if anyone needs F-keys for their device), casual
gaming and just general fidgeting while waiting in line, it has been
tremendous!  Worth mentioning of. Comes with 1 month and 6gig of prepaid
Optus mobile broadband which at the LUDICROUS rate Optus charges is actually
$135000 worth of credit ($22.60 per megabyte on my personal prepaid SIM).
So there we have it the review no one wanted on the little android tablet
device that could.

As always I am totally up for ASLUG meet, pretty much whenever and wherever
is good, so long as it fits with my wife's roster...

Regards Bill