[Aslug] copyrights templates

krys haber krys.haber at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:16:00 EST 2010

Hi Mike

Thank you. Valid points.
We have had some problems with the copyrights in the Kimberleys,
despite having access to large amount of money and  having those
issues covered by legal experts.
I am happy to have a few people working on a document attempting to
cover all the issues that everybody has to sign before submitting any
work to the project.

My primary focus is to develop a software template that would allow
teachers or students to easily dump  text, speech, video and basic
data for comprehension tests into specific directories explained in
the instructions and everything works without any coding.
Alice Springs primary schools have Aboriginal teachers teaching Aranda
and they can insert their data to reinforce the focus of their
teaching.  The key focus for me is the software that is reliable with
good sound quality, portable, uploaded on the website or downloaded XO
OLPC machine. The readers will be much more attractive when the
content is familiar to  the students and the teachers. Every teacher
has their program of work with themes, generating lots of data that
can be digitised to reinforce or test their learning. Later on we can
negotiate with various authors of the printed Aboriginal readers to
digitise their work. If they don't make it available for free, the DET
Aboriginal teachers can generate enough data to create local
Aboriginal readers.
So at this stage I would like to focus on
1.  the reliable software skeleton template,
2. locate or develop educationally valuable comprehension or learning
activities related to a text or video from websites,  CD-ROMs, your
own  stuff that you like. I have many ideas but I am open for new
ideas. Local teachers can help.
3. Build  the templates for the comprehension or learning activities
allowing easy input of locally relevant  text, sounds or videos.

10 years ago I initiated the use of the THRASS  English sounds chart
as a skeleton template for the sounds in Aboriginal languages.  The
chart visually maps all the sounds and their graphical
representations. I passed the idea to NTDET officers. Today many
schools have the sound charts adapted to their languages and there are
powerpoints with the charts, sounds and basic learning activities.
NTDET developed a powerpoint template allowing to easily customise it
to numerous languages.   I have a sample available here for free, with
no licensing, developed by NTDET staff, and happily used by numerous
Aboriginal students.  The problem is that powerpoint is not very
portable and does not work on the OLPC machines.

Kind regards

Krys

On 25/03/2010, ninti at internode.on.net <ninti at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Krys:
>
> I'd observe that the scenarios you describe potentially involve complex
> copyright
> and licensing issues.
>
> Being a GPL application may mean that any extensions/additions to GCompris
> must
> be released under a similar license (but I'm not a licensing lawyer). In any
> case, this is the situation most active Linux users would probably prefer.
>
> All organisations involved would need to sign on to some form of open source
> licensing arrangement. Not necessarily GPL perhaps (unless required by GPL),
> but
> perhaps something like Creative Commons or whatever. If people (Aboriginal
> and
> non-Aboriginal) are going to contribute to the project for free, then I
> think it
> needs to be very clear at the outset that the end product will be free (in
> all
> senses of the word).
>
> This may seem tedious stuff right now when you just want something to work,
> but
> can come back to bite you on the a*** later.
>
> Speaking only for myself, I'm interested in open source projects using open
> source technologies and not very interested in closed source and proprietary
> technologies. I also believe that open source is ultimately in the end
> users'
> best interests as well.
>
> I like stuff that "just works" too, of course!
>
> Mike

Krys Haber
Mobile 0419521207