[Aslug] GCompris

ninti at internode.on.net ninti at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 25 15:09:00 EST 2010

Krys:

I'd observe that the scenarios you describe potentially involve complex copyright
and licensing issues.

Being a GPL application may mean that any extensions/additions to GCompris must
be released under a similar license (but I'm not a licensing lawyer). In any
case, this is the situation most active Linux users would probably prefer.

All organisations involved would need to sign on to some form of open source
licensing arrangement. Not necessarily GPL perhaps (unless required by GPL), but
perhaps something like Creative Commons or whatever. If people (Aboriginal and
non-Aboriginal) are going to contribute to the project for free, then I think it
needs to be very clear at the outset that the end product will be free (in all
senses of the word).

This may seem tedious stuff right now when you just want something to work, but
can come back to bite you on the a*** later.

Speaking only for myself, I'm interested in open source projects using open
source technologies and not very interested in closed source and proprietary
technologies. I also believe that open source is ultimately in the end users'
best interests as well.

I like stuff that "just works" too, of course!

Mike