[Aslug] Fwd: Python Aboriginal ebooks for 3K OLPC laptops

Mark Liddle mark.liddle at yirara.nt.edu.au
Thu Mar 25 10:15:24 EST 2010

Hi Krys, Adrian and Mike,
Thanks for all the responses.
Mike - I guess that i'm on the aslug mail list now as I did get the confirmation mail with password etc.

Krys/Adrian - I downloaded GCompris and took a look at it.
I'm afraid that I would only know to build it in flash.

Having been down this road a little way, (but targeting an older audience)
I would say that you need to try and get the "buy-in" from the various linguistic organisations. I think that SIL is probably the primary one to go for as they do the bible translations. One usually finds that when a language is translated and documented, the process is often started/implemented by the bible translators and then that text is adopted as THE definitive text, syntax etc.

However - When you get down to the symantecs of where a syllable starts and ends, and how each individual word should be pronounced etc, etc . . .
I suggest that you stay out of the ensuing argument(s). This is an absolute minefield.

I have attached 2 files for your perusal. The purpose of this tool is primarily to teach people (preferably illiterate adults) how to read in their own language.

The ZIP file is a flash demo (proof of concept ONLY) of what I want to do.
(If you speak the language, please ignore the pronunciation and syllabification - I was just playing)

The "problem" with this demo is that its only the player for the end-user. It needs a few more modules.
For example:
I need to build an interface which operates at 2 other levels.
Namely : One for the linguist(s) to store, edit and manage the audio and text resources and
         Secondly - an interface for educators to draw on those resources and develop their own lessons dynamically.
And it also needs database to keep track of user scores, lessons etc.

The PDF is the documentation that I wrote to try and sell the concept and get support.
In it, I also give a whole lot of other features that I would like to include and suggest a way for us to stay out of the "Symantecs fight" by farming the language management process to a select linguist(s)

If you feel that it would be better / easier to do it in Python - lets give it a go. To me, what matters is that the tool becomes available for free. (How are illiterate people going to pay? - bear in mind that it could be used in India, Africa or South America just as easily as it can be used for the Aborigine population.) If you are interested in exploring this further - lets get together.

Thanks & regards

                                   Mark Liddle
                                   Yirara College of the Finke River Mission
                                   PMB 51 Alice Springs NT 0872