[Aslug] ASLUG Meeting: What you missed!

Adrian Casey adrian.casey at internode.on.net
Tue Aug 14 11:44:47 UTC 2007

I'd like to say thank you to Dennis and Stephen for their presentation
at the last ASLUG meeting.  For those of you that could not make it,
here's what you missed -:

    * The latest GIMP
    * Clonezilla

The development version of The GIMP (http://gimp.org) includes a very
nice "Foreground Selection Tool".  This version had to be compiled from
source which can be a task on its own.  We were presented with a
wonderful demonstration of just how powerful this new version will be.
Dennis was able to use the new foreground selection tool to great effect
on a sample image of his son in a recent cycling event.

If you run a Windows PC, you're no doubt wondering just how long it will
be before it gets hit with a virus or suffers incurable Windows
Entropy.  Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/)  looks like a
great open source solution for those burdened with such worries.  Dennis
and Stephen showed how easy it is to take an image of a Windows XP
laptop and restore it following a simulated catastrophic failure (fdisk
frivolities).  Clonezilla should be on every admin's radar if imaging
multiple systems is a requirement.

Thanks again to Dennis and Stephen for putting on such a good show of
some very useful open source software.

If you have something you'd like to share with the group, please do so!
The open source world is full of wonderful tools and I'm sure many of
you are using them in interesting and practical ways.

See you in September!

--
Cheers.
Adrian Casey.