[Aslug] ASLUG : Let's spread the word!

Adrian Casey casey at outbacklinux.com
Sat Jul 13 16:27:05 UTC 2002

Greetings all!

I've been away for a couple of weeks so I've been catching up on emails etc.
One thing I have noticed is that there are several people who come to the
meeting but are not on the distro list.  Getting on the distro list is now
easier than ever!  You can either visit the link at the bottom of this email
or directly from the ASLUG web page.  Obviously if you're receiving this
email, you are already on the list so you don't need to subscribe.  However,
if you want to change you details, you can do so using this page.

If you know anyone who would like to get on the list, please point them at
the web page or forward this message to them.

I installed OpenOffice.org V1.0 yesterday and I must say I'm very impressed
so far.  It seems more responsive than StarOffice 5.2 and the functionality
provided must surely give MS executives nightmares.

My brother runs a business down South and would dearly like to run an all
Linux shop.  He's impressed by the price / performance of Linux but must be
able to do his day to day word processing and spreadsheets.  Currently, he
runs Lotus Smart Suite.  I've given him a copy of OpenOffice for Windows and
installed RedHat 7.3 for him in a dual-boot configuration.  He's going to
take a close look at OpenOffice and if it can all that he needs, he'll be
making the jump.  I'm confident it will do all that he needs.

I received my first copy of Linux Format under subscription the other day.
It comes with 2 CDs and is just a bloody great mag!  The CDs contain lots of
good stuff including the latest OpenOffice, Opera 6.0, Mozilla rc3 and a
preview of Netscape 7.

This leads me to the next subject : sharing software.  One thing I don't
think we do enough of is making CDs available at meetings for anyone who
wants them.  Yes, we often lend CDs but really, with the cost of blanks these
days we should be able to give copies away (on the understanding that the
recipient replaces the blanks used).

I'd encourage everyone to use the ASLUG mailing list to request copies of
CDs.  For example, if someone wants OpenOffice, they send a request to the
mailing list.  Hopefully someone will burn a copy and reply to the mailing
list that they have "filled the order".  The CD can then be given to the
requestor at the next meeting (and the requestor brings along a replacement
blank CD).  I know several of you also have ADSL and may like to download the
latest ISO images of popular distros.  These could be made available to
members of the usergroup.  If only I could get ADSL... :-(

Obviously, we must limit our copying to material distributed under the GPL or
similar.  We must *not* undermine commercial organisations by copying CDs
containing non-GPL material for example, CDs only available when purchased in
a boxed set or similar.  Please read the licence agreement of your CDs /
software carefully before copying them.

We can do our job as Linux and opensource advocates by making free software
available as freely and widely as possible.

So, to get the ball rolling, I've got OpenOffice, Netscape 7 and Mozilla rc3
available.  If anyone wants a copy, let me know and I'll burn it for the next
meeting (23rd July).

And last, but not least, there is finally a
Darwin Linux User Group!  Take a look at http://www.darlug.org/index.php.

--
Cheers.
Adrian Casey.