[Aslug] Unable to connect to Net

Adrian Casey casey at outbacklinux.com
Tue Dec 10 20:22:01 UTC 2002

Hi Vinod,

After your ppp connection is up, type 'ifconfig -a' to verify that you have a
ppp0 interface running.  If so, then try to ping a specific IP address -
perhaps your ISP.

Have you defined a DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf?  Make sure that you have
the correct IP address defined for your ISP's DNS service.  Also, make sure
that you don't have a firewall rule preventing all IP traffic over your ppp
interface.  To check this, type '/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables status' and
confirm that you don't have a rule defined which is dropping all packets to
and from your ppp interface.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Adrian Casey.

On Tuesday 10 Dec 2002 5:52 am, Vinod wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed Mandrake Linux 8.2 in a PIII 700MHz machine with 256 MB
> Ram and I am able to connect to Internet using KPPP dialer using a 33.6
> ROCKWELL Modem.   But once the net is connected, the incoming and
> outgoing bites are standstill.  ie 72 bites in and 72 out and I am not
> able to browse.  Please suggest me to sort out the problem
>
> Regards,
>
> Vinod.

Cheers.
Adrian Casey.